Threat and risk assessment
Our vision for the NSW marine estate is to have a healthy coast and sea, managed for the greatest well-being of the community, now and into the future. To achieve this vision a Marine Estate Management Strategy to outline the NSW Government’s management directions for the marine estate over the next ten years is being developed.
An evidence-based threat and risk assessment for the NSW marine estate (statewide TARA) is a key step towards achieving this vision and the Strategy and is a requirement of the Marine Estate Management Act 2014. The statewide TARA will enable us to focus management on the most important threats and associated risks in NSW to maximise the environmental, social and economic benefits we all derive from the marine estate.
Have your say
Community and stakeholder engagement on the draft statewide threat and risk assessment for the NSW marine estate has now closed.
The Feedback and evidence you have provided will be considered and assessed to finalise the statewide TARA.
The final statewide TARA will inform the development of the draft Marine Estate Management Strategy to be released for public exhibition in late 2017.
If you would like to receive notifications about the TARA or Strategy, please email email@example.com with your name and postcode to be included on our mailing list.
The TARA interactive tool remains available to navigate and interrogate the findings of the draft statewide TARA and will be updated once the final statewide TARA is released.
The draft statewide TARA
The draft statewide TARA has been undertaken in accordance with the Threat and Risk Assessment Framework for the NSW Marine Estate and international risk assessment standards (AS/NZS ISO 31000:2009) and is evidence-based.
The draft statewide TARA identifies and assesses threats and risks to:
- environmental assets - the natural attributes, components and living resources of the marine estate such as fish stocks, saltmarsh and subtidal reefs individually in ‘estuaries’ and ‘coastal and marine’ areas.
- social and economic benefits (community benefits) - the NSW community derives from the NSW marine estate, such as going to the beach, running a scuba diving business or the peace of mind from knowing we have healthy marine life. This also includes Aboriginal cultural heritage and use benefits.
The draft statewide TARA assessed threats and their associated risks at a state and regional scale. The regions include (see map):
- North region (from Tweed Heads to Stockton)
- Central region (from Stockton to Shellharbour, includes the Hawkesbury Shelf marine bioregion)
- South region (from Shellharbour to NSW/Vic border).
We have considered your feedback from previous engagement
In February to May 2016 we sought your feedback on the Hawkesbury Shelf marine bioregion threat and risk assessment and eight suggested management initiatives. Your feedback has informed a review of several threats and associated risk levels for the Central region and improvements to the TARA process generally. It has also informed the development of the interactive tool to help improve our approach to community engagement on the draft statewide TARA.
(Note: Some of these documents contain complex images, tables or graphs. To obtain an accessible version of the content email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- NSW Marine Estate Threat and Risk Assessment Draft Report (BMT WBM, 2016) (5.5 MB, PDF)
- Environmental TARA Background Report (MEMA, 2016a) (16.3 MB, PDF)
- Social and Economic TARA reference list (MEMA, 2016b) (162 KB, PDF)
- Sea countries of New South Wales: a benefits and threats analysis of Aboriginal people's connections with the marine estate (Feary, 2015) (13 MB, PDF)
- Peer review of 'Sea countries of New South Wales: a benefits and threats analysis of Aboriginal people's connections with the marine estate' (Schnierer, 2015) (25 KB, PDF)
- Social and economic background information report on the NSW marine estate (Vanderkooi Consulting, 2015) (2.3 MB, PDF)
- Video - Introduction to the marine estate and draft statewide TARA (YouTube, 3:20 min)
- Video - Draft statewide TARA (YouTube, 5:52 min)
- Fact sheet 1 – Draft Statewide Threat and Risk Assessment (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- FAQs – Draft Statewide Threat and Risk Assessment (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Glossary of terms – Statewide Threat and Risk Assessment (PDF, 54.86 KB)
- Presentation - Draft Statewide Threat and Risk Assessment - Stakeholder workshops Feb 2017(PDF, 4.28 MB)
- TARA interactive tool
- Video - Draft Statewide TARA interactive tool demonstration (YouTube, 3:24 min)
- Fact sheet 2 - Threats and stressors - Draft statewide threat and risk assessment (PDF, 202 KB)
- Fact sheet 3 - Navigation guide - TARA interactive tool (PDF, 291 KB)
- Threat and risk assessment framework
Page last updated/reviewed: 01 May 2017