Estuary bank management strategies
Why is this project important?
Riverbank erosion can affect water quality and cause harm to native vegetation and habitats.
Treating riverbank erosion with structures such as vertical stone walls is not always the best option. Hard, steep armour doesn't provide much habitat for fish.
What are we doing?
This action will develop riverbank management strategies that:
- identify high risk areas prone to erosion in coastal waterways
- match the best treatment option with each location using a riverbank assessment decision support tool
- help Councils and state agencies coordinate actions to restore riverbank erosion in coastal waterways
- streamline the assessment process for on-ground works.
A riverbank assessment decision support tool is being developed and used in foreshore management programs in estuaries across NSW. This will inform the development of Strategies for priority estuaries on the north and south coasts.
Local government areas - Ballina Shire Council, Bega Valley Shire Council, Lismore City Council, Nambucca Valley Council, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council, Richmond Valley Council, Shoalhaven City Council, Tweed Shire Council, Wollongong City Council
Department of Primary Industries - Fisheries
- Local Governments including Ballina Shire Council, Lismore City Council, Nambucca Valley Council, Richmond Valley Council, Tweed Shire Council, Shoalhaven Shire Council, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council, Wollongong City Council, Bega Valley Shire Council
- NSW Department of Planning and Environment, Crown Land
- NSW Department of Planning - Environment and Heritage
- NSW Department of Planning and Environment - Planning
- Transport for NSW
- NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment, Natural Resources Access Regulator