Reducing water pollution
Road projects will reduce run-off from unsealed rural roads and tracks into adjacent sensitive waterways.
There are many sources of water pollution that can affect the health of coastal waterways. Water pollution reduces the quality and extent of aquatic habitats and reduces people’s enjoyment of these coastal areas.
These actions aim to improve water quality in high-priority coastal waterways in NSW, by reducing:
- sediment loss from dirt roads and tracks
- pollution from different types of land use practices
- riverbank erosion.
To achieve this, project partners are working together to:
- remove weeds
- plant native trees and plants on riverbanks
- improve fencing and stock management
- seal dirt roads and improve road drainage systems
- stabilise riverbanks
- show how others can do the same actions on their properties.
Local Land Services (LLS)
- 26 October 2020 - Collaboration stopping waterway-polluting sediment at its source
A collaboration between Local Land Services and Ballina Shire Council has prevented up to 13 rail freight carriages worth of sediment flowing into Emigrant Creek in just 14 months.
Works are being undertaken within the priority areas of:
North Coast Local Land Services Region
Emigrant Creek Sub-catchment in the Richmond catchment
South East Local Land Services Region
Various priority catchments from Wollongong to Eden, including Shoalhaven, Lake Illawarra, Crooked River, Tuross, Moruya, Tilba, Wagonga, Wallaga, Bermagui, Wapengo, Bega, Merimbula and Pambula catchments.
Hunter Local Land Services Region
Various priority locations in mid-north coast catchments, including areas in The Branch River, Wallamba River, Lansdowne River and the Manning River around Pampoola and Gloucester.
Our partners include:
- Macadamia growers
- Beef farmers and rural residential landholders
- Dairy farmers
- Oyster growers
- Ballina Shire Council
- MidCoast Council
- NSW Water Research Laboratory
- Soil Conservation Service
- Eurobodalla Council
- Bega Valley Shire Council
- Shoalhaven Council
- Kiama Council
- Shellharbour Council
- Wollongong Council
- National Parks and Wildlife Service
- Local Aboriginal Land Councils
North Coast Local Land Services
Shaun Morris - email@example.com
Hunter Local Land Services
Geoff Le Messurier - firstname.lastname@example.org
South East Local Land Services
Shannon Brennan - email@example.com
Page last updated/reviewed: 30 Oct 2020