Hawkesbury Shelf marine bioregion assessment
Phase 3 of the Assessment involved the release of a discussion paper (Part 1 (PDF, 5MB) and Part 2 (PDF, 12MB)) outlining the Authority’s approach to enhancing the conservation of marine biodiversity in the bioregion while allowing for a range of benefits and uses the NSW community derives from the marine estate in this region via:
- initiatives and actions in the Marine Estate Management Strategy 2018–2028 (PDF 11 MB)(Strategy), and
- a new marine park proposal for the bioregion.
The Strategy focuses on addressing priority and cumulative threats that operate throughout the NSW marine estate, as identified and assessed in the statewide Threat and Risk Assessment (TARA).
Background information about phases 1 and 2 of the assessment is available here.
Marine park proposal (2018)
The aim of the proposed new marine park is to reduce risks at a local scale from some site-based threats, while helping to conserve marine biodiversity. It is designed to complement the initiatives and management actions of the Strategy, while allowing for a wide range of recreational and commercial activities to still occur.
It includes a network of 25 distinct sites (834 KB), rather than a single large marine park. Three zone types - sanctuary zones, conservation zones and special purpose zones are proposed across the 25 sites.
An overview of site selection can be found in discussion paper (Part 1 (PDF, 5MB)). The documents that underpinned the selection of sites are as follows:
- NSW Threat and Risk Assessment Final Report (BMT WBM, 2017) (5.1 MB, PDF)
- FINAL Environment TARA Background Report (MEMA, 2017a) (9.3 MB, PDF)
Map of proposed marine park (2018)
Click on each proposed site on the map below to obtain further details to include site description, map, and proposed management rules. To further zoom in on individual sites to see in detail the site and zone boundaries, you can open a map window by clicking here.
The proposed marine park could result in a variety of benefits to the people of NSW including:
- reduced site-based threats and additional protection for some of the best examples of the bioregion’s marine biodiversity and habitats
- conserving marine biodiversity for current and future generations
- benefiting local business owners by allowing them to promote the marine park as a tourism drawcard
- allowing for a range of activities and uses, depending on the management objectives for each site.
Have Your Say
The consultation on the Hawkesbury shelf marine bioregion marine park proposal is now closed.
The information you have provided will inform the final marine park proposal to be considered by the NSW Government later in 2018. Existing management rules remain in place, and none of the proposals will be implemented until the NSW Government announces the outcome.
Discussion paper and supporting information
The discussion paper is in two parts:
- Part 1 – outlines the context and approach for enhancing marine biodiversity in the bioregion (PDF, 5MB)
- Part 2 – is the marine park proposal which describes the proposed management at 25 distinct sites in the bioregion (PDF, 12MB)
Additional information :
- FAQ – A marine park proposal for Hawkesbury Shelf marine bioregion (Phase 3) (PDF, 1 MB)
- Overview map of proposed marine park (PDF, 834 KB)
- Aboriginal factsheet (PDF, 194 KB)
Site based information (listed from north to south)
- Bird Island (PDF, 431 KB)
- Norah Head (PDF, 459 KB)
- Tuggerah Bay (PDF, 540 KB)
- Forresters (PDF, 806 KB)
- Ex-HMAS Adelaide (PDF, 467 KB)
- Bouddi (PDF, 1 MB)
- Lion Island (PDF, 603 KB)
- Barrenjoey Head (PDF, 849 KB)
- Narrabeen Head (PDF, 381 KB)
- Long Reef (PDF, 982 KB)
- Cabbage Tree Bay (PDF, 1 MB)
- North Harbour (PDF, 1 MB)
- Chowder Bay (PDF, 675 KB)
- Camp Cove (PDF, 570 KB)
- Nielsen Park (PDF, 693 KB)
- Bronte-Coogee (PDF, 983 KB)
- Cape Banks (PDF, 829 KB)
- Towra Point (PDF, 2 MB)
- Boat Harbour (PDF, 566 KB)
- Shiprock (PDF, 552 KB)
- Cabbage Tree Creek (PDF, 749 KB)
- Offshore Artificial Reefs (PDF, 751 KB)
- Royal National Park (PDF, 691 KB)
- Five Islands (PDF, 943 KB)
- Intertidal Protected Areas (PDF, 734 KB)
Multicultural translated fact sheets - Hawkesbury Shelf marine bioregion proposed marine park
- نشرة معلومات باللغة العربية - Arabic Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- 한국어 안내문 - Korean Fact sheet (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- 繁體中文情況說明書 - Chinese traditional Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- 简体中文情况说明书 - Chinese simplified Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Tờ Thông tin Tiếng Việt - Vietnamese Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.6 MB)
- Lembar Fakta Bahasa Indonesia - Indonesian Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- เอกสารข้อมูลภาษาไทย - Thai Fact Sheet (PDF, 1.6 MB)
Page last updated/reviewed: 21 May 2021