Implementing the Marine Estate Management Strategy
Progress on implementation of the Marine Estate Management Strategy is published:
- every four months in a triannual snapshot
- at the end of each year in an annual report.
Copies of past reports are available below.
In addition, the Marine Integrated Monitoring Program is assessing the effectiveness of the Strategy in reducing priority threats and risks to the NSW marine estate.
A ten-year strategy
The Strategy commences its fifth year of implementation on 1 July 2022. See the current implementation plan (PDF, 11744.94 KB) for details about how the Marine Estate Management Strategy is being delivered in 2021-22. A new implementation plan for future years will be published later in 2022.
Highlights of current progress
1 November 2021 to 28 February 2022
Oyster reef restoration research
Research monitoring has revealed that the new Port Stephens oyster reefs are having significant positive outcomes for water quality as oysters are collectively filtering approximately 7.5 million litres of water per hour.
A further 18 landholder agreements have been signed in six local government areas to protect and rehabilitate over 18km of riparian vegetation. Over 14km of maintenance underway covering approximately 15 hectares, ensuring long lasting success of rehabilitated riparian vegetation areas.
Bank stabilisation efforts continued with 670m of installations completed across 3 local government areas.
Fish Friendly Breakwater Maintenance Guidelines (PDF, 6128.89 KB) that will guide the management of breakwaters (or break walls) to maximise benefits for both the community and the environment are now available on the project profile page along with results of audits of 134 breakwater structures.
Mapping estuarine vegetation and threats
Additional mapping of saltmarsh, seagrass and mangroves, locations of 1800 artificial structures and areas of damaged saltmarsh have all been added to the DPI Fisheries Spatial Data Portal.
Climate change citizen science
A paper has been published using citizen science data to identify drivers of species range shifts within the NSW marine estate in Global Change Biology - Species on the move around the Australian coastline: A continental-scale review of climate-driven species redistribution in marine systems.
Cultural economic development
The first Aboriginal-owned and run business was awarded a SMART drumline contract in February 2022 as part of the NSW Shark Management Program. This provides an opportunity to extend outcomes to the broader community through employment and further capacity building. MEMS Initiative 4 is supporting a 20-week traineeship targeting Aboriginal graduates of the MEMS Initiative 4 deckhand and coxswains training to increase capacity for the South Coast Aboriginal community. As well as providing employment and fishing skills, the SMART drumline work will contribute towards valuable sea time hours for those community members who are completing their coxswains.
Partnerships to protect marine wildlife
Minister for Agriculture Dugald Saunders announced Forster as next region to receive an artificial reef in 2023. Deployment of Batemans offshore artificial reef complete.
Projects awarded funding under Boating Now Round 3 are due for completion by December 2022. At the time of reporting 17 of 69 Round 3 projects have been completed.
Maritime heritage review
Report prepared detailing threats to maritime heritage sites with a review on maritime heritage site management in other jurisdictions.
Improved Marine Park Management Planning
Completed community consultation on the Draft Management Plan for the NSW Mainland Marine Park Network (commenced 1 Nov 2021 and ended 31 January 2022) and submission analysis is now underway. The draft plan highlights many linkages to MEMS initiatives in supporting the management objectives and actions in the plan.
Strategy program management
Published Marine Estate Management Strategy (MEMS) Implementation Annual Report 2020/21 (PDF, 11212.48 KB) and Period 1 snapshot report (PDF, 1079.84 KB) providing an overview of Strategy deliverables, key highlights and communications.
- Strategy baseline evaluation Executive Summary and recommendations (PDF, 374.08 KB)
- Strategy baseline evaluation report (PDF, 1351.41 KB)
- Strategy baseline evaluation supplementary report (PDF, 1156.2 KB)
- Strategy Implementation Annual Report 2020-21 (PDF, 11212.48 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Year 3, Quarter 4 (PDF, 2211.84 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Year 3, Quarter 3 (PDF, 1646.27 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Year 3, Quarter 2 (PDF, 1625.72 KB)
- Status report for local government - Initiatives 1-3 - September 2020 (PDF, 764.8 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Year 3, Quarter 1 (PDF, 1119.91 KB)
Presentations from MEMS local government online forum - July 2021
- Introduction (PDF, 3776.63 KB)
- Review of the NSW water quality objectives (PDF, 3558.67 KB)
- Risk based framework for urban waterway health (PDF, 2270.02 KB)
- Risk based framework for regional waterway health (PDF, 2267.9 KB)
- Estuarine water quality monitoring (PDF, 2232.12 KB)
- Oyster reef restoration (PDF, 4833.15 KB)
- Improving roads and tracks (PDF, 4871.89 KB)
- Riverbank vegetation improvement and stabilisation (PDF, 5369.89 KB)
- Clean coastal catchments on-ground and research (PDF, 748.11 KB)
- Fish friendly workshops for councils (PDF, 2161.73 KB)
- Construction sediment management and coastal design guidelines (PDF, 2545.07 KB)
- Fish friendly breakwater maintenance (PDF, 2140.58 KB)
- Marine vegetation strategies (PDF, 2376.67 KB)
- Domestic waterfront structure and estuary bank management strategies (PDF, 5006.01 KB)
- Coastal wetland rehabilitation (PDF, 2013.93 KB)
- Climate change threats to mangrove and saltmarsh (PDF, 6171.57 KB)
- Climate change monitoring (PDF, 2023.4 KB)
- Feedback from MEMS Local Government online forum (PDF, 191.25 KB)
- Strategy Implementation Annual Report 2019-2020 (PDF, 7183.07 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Quarter 4 (PDF, 800.14 KB)
- Status report for local government - Initiatives 1-3 - April 2020 (PDF, 1917.79 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Quarter 3 (PDF, 2246.38 KB)
- Strategy quarterly snapshot - Quarter 2 (PDF, 2152.39 KB)